The Blue House

The Blue House

Friday, February 25, 2011

Do you see what I see?

When we looked at this house for the first time almost fifteen years ago, Ruby was just a baby. As we walked through the house I didn't see closets and windows and how many bathrooms. I remember looking in one of the bedrooms and seeing Ruby getting ready for her wedding. In the kitchen I saw Ruby's college friends home form school laughing at the kitchen table. We had one swing on the porch swing, where I saw Ruby's high school boyfriends sitting, and skipped to the car. I was sold.

After work my husband comes home and in the dining room he might see exposed bulbs dangling from wires. But I see a beautifully lit dining room table with kids playing board games and holiday dinners. In the kitchen a new window seat is being built. My husband sees how much it costs; but I see my kids sitting there, stopping in after school telling me about their day. I see Paul sitting there on a Friday night drinking a beer talking to me while I cook dinner.

Last week the Greensaw crew uncovered a heating duct leading to the third floor. It's in the way. Jim from C2 Architecture had a vision to open that up, but it was looking like we might have to abandon the plan. I said, "That's going to break Jim's heart because he really wanted to open that up." At he time, I admit, I didn't really see it. Like how my husband is still perplexed with why we need to make a big hole in the kitchen wall for a window seat. Jim and Joe came by and we talked with Caleb. Jim wasn't going to give up that vision so easily. We decided we could knock out the space in the wall on either side of the duct and take it all the way to the ceiling. That's what the guys did this week and it's amazing what it does to the space. YES, we can all see it now.

I remember when I used to like to cook. I don't know if it was the babies that stopped me or if it was my kitchen with one tiny piece of counter space to work. I see a kitchen that is set up like a studio with all the tools in the right place. Finally a place to put my potatoes. When Niko was here talking about the kitchen cabinets and where drawers and shelves will go. He said, " You can put your toaster here, next to the fridge, your kids can make their breakfast while you are over there making lunches." I didn't see it till he said it.

Do you see what I see? I see this home renovation transforming our lives; making things easier, bringing friends and family closer. I see friends laughing on a Friday night on the back porch and early morning kettle bell workouts on the roof deck.

After the first week of construction my kids and I were sitting in the dust filled dining area looking at the new holes in the walls leading to the kitchen and back room. The rooms were finally united. We were all sitting at the table when the kids said, "YEAH, this is going to be great!" Damn, those architects were right again.


1 comment:

  1. We know all too well that renovations can be trying on our customers. We love our work but when the client begins to get frustrated and in turn we do as well and then we start to rush. We should make a copy of this post and hand it to clients with initial estimates. It perfectly captures the attitude we should all take towards the projects. Thinking of the end result makes the process fun for everyone. Thanks for the brilliant insight and positive attitude!!!

    ReplyDelete