The Blue House

The Blue House

Friday, February 11, 2011

A happy home.

Whenever my friends tried to tell me what construction would be like they basically said, " Expect a lot of dust." Thinking about construction before it actually began was like being pregnant, waiting desperately to meet your baby but knowing that you still had to somehow get through labor. Well, that's sort of what it was like waiting to get started on this project. I started packing the boxes last July and it was just about a year ago that we started talking to the architects about the ideas for the project. I have had lots of time to think about construction. Putting a hole in my dining room wall was scary and making a hole in my kitchen wall to the outside making way for a new bigger window was unthinkable a few months ago. Much to my surprise, I feel the same feelings about demolition that I felt about child birth. It's thrilling and exciting and not at all scary like I had imagined it to be.

Yes. There's dust. Lot's of it, but it feels like a comfort zone. I was an art major in college and I spent many happy dust filled days in the sub basement of Doherty Hall making sculptures and metal projects and installation pieces; working away in my jeans and sweatshirts completely surrounded and covered in dust. So having all of this dust in the house has been like seeing an old college friend. Creativity is our house guest for the next several months. And where ever there is dust creativity has a happy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment